Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I made it and they ate it

Since I don't get a 'good job here is an ipad for your work', for my job, I have to celebrate my small accomplishments with empty dishes.  To make something that all three of my kids will and can (since I have a new eater) eat is worth celebrating to me!

Our family loves soups.  I love to make them.  I love to use my big red pot.  I love the smell.  I love the dish to wash.

Today I made a black bean soup.  It was delicious. My almost 5 year old ate two bowls.  It wasn't even pureed and was nice and chunky.  Since I always try and make something some one else says their kids will eat, I thought I should share this simple soup.

Ingredients:

1 jalapeno pepper -seeded/ribbed
1 med. onion
2 gloves garlic
2 tbsp butter
3 c. chicken stock
24 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 14 oz. can black beans
1 14 oz. can corn
1 pkg. low fat turkey kielbasa sausage
2 tbsp. dried italian flake mix
1 c. cream
salt/pepper to taste
homemade croutons

Chop jalapeno peppers being careful to remove the hot ribs/seeds.  Chop onion and garlic.  Saute all three in 2 tbsp. butter and 1 cup of chicken stock until onions are translucent.  Add 2 tbsp. dried Italian seasoning, tomatoes, beans, and corn. Add remaining cups of chicken stock.  Once well mixed and boiling, add chopped sausage, reduce to simmer and cook for 30-1 hr. on low, uncovered.

Once in bowl, add cream, salt, and pepper to taste.  Add homemade croutons.  Enjoy!


Homemade croutons are a new addition to my menu for the boys.  I always make two loaves of wheat bread a week and we don't always get to them.  Using these through out the week has proven to be great for croutons and I don't have left over bread on Sundays when I bake again.  Plus, Logan likes them as snacks!

To make them, slice appropriate sized bites and place in a plastic bag with 4 tbsp. of olive oil, garlic, salt or any other flavors you like.  Spread out on a cookie sheet and cook for 10 min. at 400.  Shake once or twice while cooking.

1 comment:

  1. Looks delicious! Brian and I would LOVE it and it left us both salivating this morning when we read it----the kids- probably not! Where did I go wrong? I LOVE Mason's hat!

    And could Logan, the big eater, be any cuter?

    ReplyDelete