Thursday, January 27, 2011

Holy Cow! Cheese Potato Soup

The soup I made this week made Reagan exclaim, "Holy cow!" when he tasted it.  It is yummy - holy cow yummy if you are a fan of cream and smoked gouda cheese.  I made this early in the afternoon in anticipation of "one of those nights" and it was super thick and delicious by the time we got to it.

Holy Cow Soup
2 tbsp dry flake Italian Mix
2 tsp Marjoram
2 tsp black pepper
2 pinches Chipolte pepper flakes
2 tsp Mortons Seasoning mix
2 tbsp. butter
1/2 medium onion
1-2 clove garlic
2 c. heavy cream
2 c. chicken broth
1 c. water
7-8 med. potatoes
3 c. shredded smoked gouda cheese
1c. parmesan cheese
4 bacon strips cut into small bits
1 kielbasa sausage

Peel, cube, and cook potatoes until fork tender and easily mashed.
Saute 2 tbsp. butter, chopped onion, garlic, and bacon until cooked and onions are translucent.  Add water a bit at a time while cooking and add sausage.  Remove from heat and mix in food processor with potatoes and 1-2 cups broth.  Add back to the pot and add the spices, cream, remaining broth, and cheeses and cook on low and until all the cheese is melted for an hour.  Stir often to prevent burning. 

We ate ours with Beer Bread and homemade croutons.  Delicious! 

For dessert, I whipped some homemade whip cream and served it over frozen blueberries.  Double yum! 
This soup was super thick by lunch the next day.  I added milk to each bowl and warmed it up.  I think it was even a bit better then!

4 comments:

  1. That soup looks so yummy! I'd love to try it, but not sure how my diet would like it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm planning on trying this soon but can't find chipotle flakes. sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is very Valuable Information I'm a usually blogging and I actually appreciate you content View it Now

    ReplyDelete