Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Sweet and Smokey Soup

Soup was on again yesterday.  With it raining most of the day and being that wet-cold-yuck, hot soup and homemade bread sounded quite lovely.

Since I didn't plan this meal in advance, I had to use what I had on hand (i.e. no cream!!).  It still was good and yummy and used some frozen leftovers which I'm always glad to get out of the way.


Sweet and Smokey Soup

2 peeled sweet potatoes
1 med. onion
3 stalks celery
2 cloves garlic
1 stick butter
2 cups chicken stock
2 tsp poultry seasoning
1 tsp salt
1 seeded chipolte pepper in sauce, seeded
1 cup sour cream
1 cup milk
1.5 cups cooked shredded turkey breast
1.5 cups gouda cheese


Peel and chop potatoes, boil until tender, drain and set aside.  Chop onion, celery, and garlic and saute until tender and onions are translucent in butter.  Add chopped chipolte pepper and cook 10 min more. Process veggies and turkey in food processor with 1 cup of stock.  Add all back to pot, including sour cream and milk, and cook on low or put in oven at 200 or for 1 hour, occasionally stirring.   Half an hour before serving, add cheese and continue to occasionally stir. 

My family all really liked it. It has a little kick in it so Logan had his mixed with some leftover pasta.  If I had cream and smoked gouda, this would have been even better -as everything is!

I intended to serve this with bread but the boys were too hungry to wait the additional 10 min for the bread to finish baking.  We had it for dessert while it was piping hot with butter and honey.  Yummm. 


I've been baking bread from scratch weekly for over a year now.  I really love to do it.  I love to hand knead the dough.  I always use the recipe from the Tassajara Bread Book's Yeasted bread.  I mix white and whole wheat so it isn't so heavy to eat.  It is delicious and I love providing the bread weekly for my boys.  I think they all could live on just bread and cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment